The Washington State Shoreline Management Act (SMA) of 1971 was enacted for the purpose of comprehensively managing and protecting the state’s shorelines. The Shoreline Management Act emphasizes accommodation of appropriate uses that require a shoreline location, protection of shoreline environmental resources and protection of the public's right to access and use the shorelines.
Under the SMA, each city and county with shorelines of the state must prepare and adopt a Shoreline Master Program (SMP) tailored to the specific geographic, economic and environmental needs of the community. The SMP is essentially a combined comprehensive plan, zoning ordinance, and development permit system for shoreline-specific uses. Shorelines of the state include those lands extending landward for two hundred feet in all directions as measured on a horizontal plane from the ordinary high water mark; floodways and contiguous floodplain areas landward two hundred feet from such floodways; and all wetlands and river deltas associated with the streams, lakes, and tidal waters which are subject to the provisions of this chapter; the same to be designated as to location by the department of ecology.” (RCW 90.58.030(2)(d))
The Skagit River, as well as the adjoining jurisdictional lands, meets the definition for a shoreline of the state; therefore the City of Sedro-Woolley must have a SMP. The City completed major updates to the SMP in May of 2016 as required by the State. The State Department of Ecology (Ecology) is the regulatory body in charge of overseeing the City’s SMP update. The updated SMP is effective June 14, 2016; 14 days after the Director of Ecology approves the adopted updates.
Please contact John Coleman, Planning Director at email@example.com if you have any questions about the Sedro-Woolley Shoreline Management Program.
Adopted SMP Documents:
- Ordinance 1847-16 updating the Sedro-Woolley SMP
- Sedro-Woolley Shoreline Management Program
- Restoration Plan - Appendix B to SMP
- Shoreline Critical Areas Regulations - Appendix C to SMP
- SMP Update Ordinance No. 1847-16
- Department of Ecology SMP Update Approval Letter
- Letter to Ecology requesting approval of adopted SMP per Ordinance 1847-16
- Draft Shoreline Inventory and Characterization Report (Appendix A to SMP – Not an adopted element of the SMP)
- Presentation from August 2011 Visioning Meeting (PowerPoint, PDF)
- Preliminary List of Information Sources by Topic – July 2011
- SMP Public Participation Plan – July 2011
- Strategy for Shoreline Use - Task 3-1